Buckle up, Seattle Sounders fans. The next month is going to be a crazy ride.
The Sounders are in a situation they don't usually find themselves in. Throughout the club's history, the Seattle Sounders have made the MLS Cup Playoffs every single year since 2009. However, this year, the Sounders are on the outside looking in.
Seattle isn't mathematically out of the playoffs, but a recent 2-1 loss on the road against the Vancouver Whitecaps doesn't help their chances. To make the playoffs, the Sounders simply need to win and hope some other teams -- namely the Portland Timbers, Real Salt Lake and the LA Galaxy -- drop the ball.
While teams like Portland, Minnesota, Real Salt Lake and Vancouver have played 32 games and have only two more contests left, the Sounders and the Galaxy have 31 games under their belt and have three more fixtures. Seattle currently sits in 10th place with 39 points.
Below is what the Western Conference looks like right now. Teams with an asterisk have to play three more matches. The top seven teams will qualify for the playoffs.
1. Los Angeles FC - 64 PTS (GD +28)
2. Austin FC - 55 PTS (GD +18)
3. FC Dallas - 50 PTS (GD +11)
4. Nashville SC - 47 PTS (GD +11)
5. Portland Timbers - 46 PTS (GD +3)
6. Minnesota United - 45 PTS (GD -3)
7. LA Galaxy* - 43 PTS (GD +4)
8. Real Salt Lake - 43 PTS (GD -4)
9. Vancouver Whitecaps - 40 PTS (GD -17)
10. Seattle Sounders* - 39 PTS (GD +2)
11. Colorado Rapids - 39 PTS (GD -12)
12. Sporting Kansas City - 37 PTS (GD -12)
13. Houston Dynamo - 33 PTS (GD -12)
14. San Jose Earthquakes* - 31 PTS (GD -18)
The Sounders, despite their low placement on the list, still have a chance to make the playoffs. Let's discuss how the Sounders can right the ship.