4) Road struggles continue
Ahead of time, the size of the task facing the Sounders was clear. In 11 previous home games this season, LAFC had only lost once.
Compounding the problem, Seattle entered Friday night with a poor road record of 3-6-1. Clearly with the loss, they now fall to 3-7-1 on the season.
It is likely the Sounders cannot rely on results at Lumen Field alone to extend their MLS record of 13 consecutive trips to the playoffs. Of the final 12 regular season games, six will come on the road.
The road games in question will include clashes with Atlanta, L.A. Galaxy, Portland, Orlando, Vancouver and Sporting KC. While only L.A. and Orlando currently hold playoff spots at the time of writing, only Sporting KC is out of realistic contention.
At the same time though, none of these six teams should hold any real fear for the Sounders. As long as they play up to their potential, they should be fine.
In this respect, the Rave Green proved in the first 25 minutes on Friday night that they can excel against anyone, including the current Supporters' Shield leaders. It is more a case of improving their consistency, if they are to achieve positive results on their travels.
- The Sounders now face a crucial stage of their season, with four of the next five games versus teams which are above them in the Western Conference standings.
- Raul Ruidiaz did not feature in the squad, but should return either for Tuesday's home game versus FC Dallas, or in Atlanta next weekend.
- Whereas eight of LAFC'S 19 attempts were on goal, none of Seattle's 11 shots were on target.
- Alluding to the Sounders' early period of dominance but also not creating enough chances, they finished the game with an edge in possession (51.6%-48.4%) and total passes (450-420).
- In respect of Seattle's poor form on their travels, they have now lost three consecutive road games.
- In terms of consistency, the only change the Sounders made to their starting XI, was to replace the suspended Kelyn Rowe with Nouhou.
What stood out for you most in Friday's loss to LAFC? Are you concerned about the Seattle Sounders, or confident they will qualify for the playoffs come the end of the regular season? Let us know in the comments section below.